Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Joys of Shoveling Snow

It's so important to take pleasure in life's simple things - like shoveling snow.  Now, I know what you're thinking - "Did she just elude to taking pleasure in shoveling snow? Seriously?"  Just hear me out.

Today we had the biggest snowfall of the season, probably going to end at about 10-12 inches.  Needless to say there's a lot of shoveling going on around here.  The task of shoveling snow isn't necessarily what I'd consider a 'blast' - but the experience itself is rewarding, and here's my reasons why:
  • First of all it's the camaraderie; all of your neighbors - no matter what their status is in life, or if you love them, hate them, or don't even know them - will be right out there with you, facing the same daunting task.  All working together to achieve the same goal.  Plus, if you have (amazing) neighbors like mine, they might even help you!
  • Secondly, it's exercise - no explanation necessary.
  • Thirdly, it's the sense of accomplishment when you are finished.  The work may be hard, but at the end you get to see the neat outline of the sidewalk/driveway in between the mounds of snow; not to mention, you don't have to be "that house" that the mailman, and neighborhood kids walking to school, detest because there's ten feet of un-shoveled snow in front of your house.
  • Lastly, it's the reward.  Not just the reward of accomplishment - but the actual reward that you allow yourself.  Today, after I shoveled, I took off all of my wet clothes, and put on my most comfortable pajamas.  Then, I made a nice, warm bowl of chili that had been simmering in the Crockpot all day and ate that steamy bowl of goodness while watching one of my favorite movies.  Ah, the sweet reward.
So now you see?  Take pleasure in life's simple things; You will be a happier person because of it!



Justifiably Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment