Friday, March 1, 2013

Growing Up and Growing Better...

While driving to work the other day, an *Nsync song began play on the radio - it instantly brought me back to age 12 when I went to see them in concert.  I slow danced with my cousin to "God Must Have Spent A Little More Time on You" and belted out "Tearin' Up My Heart" at the top of my lungs with 15,000 other pre-teen girls who were madly in love with Justin Timberlake.  (For the record, normally, I wouldn't have allowed anyone to hit on my man, Justin, but I felt bad for all those girls because I just KNEW that the moment our eyes met, Justin would leave all those girls heartbroken and we would be together forever.)  It was seriously one of the funnest times I had experienced up until that point.

So as my jovial reminiscing faded, I was left sitting behind my steering wheel, fully clothed in
"grown-up garb", with a blank stare and dopey smile on my face.  I quickly became aware of my surroundings just in time to make awkward eye-contact with the handsome gentlemen in the car next to me.  In order to save face, I gave him the 'ole  half-wave, looked forward and continued my trip, hoping not to get stuck at another red-light next to him.  That's when it hit me - I am officially a grown up.  I don't know why it hit me at that moment, maybe it's because my 12 year-old self wouldn't have let her insecurities get the best of her like that.  OR, maybe it's because I realized that the one-time man of my dreams was now way less appealing (to my grown-up self) and married to a gorgeous actress.  No, scratch that, it's definitely the first one.  

My point is this:  Sometimes when we move forward in life by choice or chance - whether in age, career, location, relationships - we unintentionally leave good parts of ourselves behind (i.e. my confidence level).  I want to set a goal for myself that, no matter what situation from which I move away, that I not only maintain the qualities I brought into the situation, but enhance them and continue to grow as time goes on.  Who'd a thought this could all come from hearing "Bye, Bye, Bye" on the radio?  


Until Next time!
Justifiably Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment